Friday, March 4, 2016

Balance

The last few months have brought an unprecedented amount of work into my life. Great work, engaging and interesting work. But, after three weeks of working day and night, I found myself dreaming of rest and ease and all those things we are referring to when we talk about work/life balance.

Work/life balance is like the holy grail; we talk about it, we declare our intentions to have more of it, we chase it like a wayward balloon until the wind carries it forever beyond our grasp.

I’ve heard people say “give up on work/life balance. It is not achievable. Stop torturing yourself.” And while I am always an advocate of not torturing oneself, I am definitely not about to give up on work/life balance.

The key is to understand the meaning of balance. Balance is a fluid process not a static state. It is an action.

So after three weeks of nonstop work, I started tipping the scales in the other direction. I started the week with a vacation day. That’s right, I took Monday off and went to a spa in Calistoga. I swam and read fashion magazines and otherwise thumbed my nose at the “busy-ness” of my life. It felt great.

And now it’s Friday and I am working in the cafĂ© at my gym. Sure, I’m working, but at the gym, in my exercise clothes. And soon I’ll be sweating it out in a spin class and then getting into a sauna. So today work feels a little bit more like athletic play.


Next week things may swing back the other direction. But that’s ok. Because before too long, I will swing them back: up and down, back and forth, just like a seesaw or those antique metal scales. Because I am balancing. And it is this state of flux that makes balance, like nearly every aspect of life, a journey rather than a destination.

No comments:

Post a Comment